Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Summary of Final Major Project

In the very beginning, we were asked to create a game trailer.
The brief is the project, the client is Shipley College, and the end product is the actual trailer. Production deadline for 3D work is 18th June. Our main objective is to show our trailers at the Digital Showcase on the 23rd of June.

First of all, we organized ourselves into teams. We then had to identify the strengths and weaknesses of each team member, and choose a logo for our team. For example, my strengths are I have good knowledge of video games or all eras, and I'm good at researching. My weaknesses are I'm not very good at listening, and I need a bit of help with 3DS Max.
We eventually decided on "Team Paradox" as our team name; first of all by us all thinking of our own team names, then voting on the one the majority of us liked. Then, we all designed a logo; again, with all of us voting on the one we liked the most. We chose Charlotte's logo in the end.

We then all went and started developing our own stories for the game trailer. My story involved the King of Hyrule meeting up with various characters from other games series, and going on an adventure through time and space, fighting Radioactive Mutant Killer Ponies.
I think my story is quite good; it has the basic plots and characters for a nice little compeling story. However, if it had been chosen, it would've taken far too long to model, animate, etc.
The team chose Andrew's story in the end, as it was a much simpler story that proved to be a lot simpler to animate and model; plus the story seemed a bit more interesting too, and more fitting for the idea we initially thought of in the first place; a story set in a post-apocalyptic environment.

Over the weeks, we've sometimes had team meetings when we have come to decisions, like when we were choosing our team logo, showing each other our stories, choosing each others roles, etc. When we decided on Andrew's story, it was then my task to design a 3D environment, and Officer Jones, who is a character in Andrews story.

My 3D environment consists of several buildings I designed from simple primitives; cubes, pyramids, etc. and a road with lots of street lamps. This environment represents part of the "Self Contained Super City" which is the main city-like environment the story takes place in. Officer Jones's body consists of a cyliner I shaped into his body, a sphere for his head, cylinders for his arms and legs, cuboid I shaped alot for his feet, and cubes with a lot of small cuboids for his fingers.

We also had to design merchandise for our project. I did a simple T-shirt design, and a mug.

No comments:

Post a Comment